Saturday, May 11, 2019

Straightjacketbazooka

STRAIGHTJACKETBAZOOKA



This  next entry  (the first in a veryyyyy long time here)   concerns another lost 80's group.  This time its Straightjacketbazooka.  They were  a big beat Industrial duo from again Chicago (which of course all of these posts are concerned with in this blog) .  Straightjacket consisted of  : Mike Rawnsley on bass ,drums ,vocals and percussions and Pat Donavan on keyboards ,vocals and percussions.

They existed roughly from -'85 - '90 ,'91 from what I can gather.   Musically it is as alluded to before Industrial,  but not in a droning noise atmosphere Throbbing Gristle sense but more of the Wax Trax thing going on .  Industrial Rock basically. .  I was too young to see them live in their day but ive heard stories some of the shows got crazy around the Chicago clubs.  I will need more help with stories please.  

Only one full length LP was released and a few compilation appearances.  WZRD  88.3fm  also has an unreleased CDR that was donated to me when  I was music director there in the early 2000's  . I recall it being pretty good. ill have to track it down when I get back to the station one of these days .


I met Pat Donavan when I  started going to this Chicago coffee shop/Music venue/general odd ball hangout in 1997 called  " The Nervous Center".   We had a lot of music conversations and he was a fun guy to hang with.  About a short time after the closing of The Center in the early 2000's I heard Donavan  had passed  away .  His back and /or legs were in a lot of pain and I remember him walking with cane. im not 100% if he committed suicide due to the pain or not , ill have to recheck this .

 He donated some of his gear from the Bazooka days to me which i've used extensively in my own projects like  Death Factory and Morlokk for many years after  , so a little of Bazooka lives on through me I guess...…………..


links I could find...….. I need a lot more  (pics , stories, video? ect.....)     if any one has them please share !!!!



https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=QeUQxG4oCKk

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1839980-Straightjacketbazooka

.


flyer from a show at Club 950  :






No comments:

Post a Comment